Build Version: 184.108.40.206.a4dedcd
Release Date: 29/11/2017
The following updates and fixes are for the new proc gen branch only. To access it follow these steps:
- Open the Steam client
- Go to your Library and right-click on Sunless Skies
- Select Properties
- Select the Betas tab
- Enter the following password into the beta access code field: proceduralgeneration
- Click Check Code
- Select the procgen branch from the drop down menu – the update will begin queuing
GOG Galaxy only
- Open the GOG Galaxy Client
- Go to your Library and select Sunless Skies
- Click on More and then select Settings
- Over on the right, change Beta Channels from Off to On
- Select Add Private Channels
- Enter the password: proceduralgeneration and click Submit
- Select the ProcGen branch from the Channel drop down list
- Click Install
We’re releasing this build initially on a different branch as there are some risks with us having redesigned the proc gen system. However eventually it will become the main branch and everyone will be updated to this build.
We recommend starting a new character/save file within the new proc gen build. However if you are attached to your character or do not want to lose your progress you can load save files from previous Early Access builds. When importing existing saves you will see a warning that this will regenerate your map and move you to the New Winchester starting area. You will not lose any progress your character has made in terms of level, experience, possessions, progress through storylets, etc, but you will need to rediscover all previously uncovered areas of the Reach.
N.B. You will be able to change from the proc gen branch back to the main branch at any time, however once you have imported your character’s save file from the main branch into proc gen, you will not be able to load that save file in the main branch again. This is why we recommend starting a new character within proc gen. Alternatively, make a back-up copy of your character’s Lineage folder before you import it into the proc gen build (details of where to find these files are on our Bug Reporting page).
Please be aware that some saves imported from very early EA builds (builds before v220.127.116.11.2dbd705 released on the 25th October), may see their Scout unequipped when they load the game. Your cargo number may also be inaccurate. Just head north out of the asteroid field towards New Winchester where you can dock and re-equip your bat, and the cargo number will resolve itself once docked.
In the new proc gen system Port Prosper is no longer in a fixed segment, it will appear randomly in an outer segment, like any other port. Since the Fastidious Inspector quest directs you to Port Prosper in the North East, we’ve decided to disable this starter quest until we implement a new feature which can give accurate directions based on where ports are generated. Since this quest gives out a generous amount of Sovereigns we’ve temporarily boosted the Sovereigns awarded in the A Gift for New Captains storylet seen when starting a new character.
After extensive bug fixing and testing we believe we have finally eliminated all incarnations of the missing ports and duplicate port bugs! However, leaving the Reach boundaries may still cause issues with save files and we recommend against doing this (travelling too far out of the Reach and trying to return will cause the loading screen to hang and you will need to relaunch the game).
- A new procedural generation system.
- Redesign of the Survival HUD.
- We’ve increased the spawn rate of agents.
- We’ve changed the chart to accurately reflect in-game assets on the collidable layer.
- Changes to Terror batch#1:
- Terror is no longer gained when you enter the area around ports.
- Rate of ambient Terror gain has been decreased (was previously ~1 Terror every 7 seconds, now it’s 1 every 14 seconds).
- Rate of Terror gain doubles when your Crew number is less than half the base Crew capacity of your locomotive.
- Camera effects when your rate of Terror gain increases.
- Regions boundaries have been removed for now until we are ready to launch the next region.
- New labels have been added to Carillon and additional (non-port) labels have been introduced throughout the Reach.
- New decorations are in place.
What’s not included in this build
Discoveries and Spectacles: the world may feel a little busier now that agent spawn rates have been increased and we’ve added some new decorations, but Spectacles and Discoveries are still to come. Once released, they should make the Reach feel even more plush (and have effects on your Terror in the case of spectacles).
- Ports are now aligned correctly on the chart in relation to the player’s position when the UI scale is increased.
- We fixed the issue where region boundaries can overlap or separate when changing the UI scale – however this will not be visible until we reintroduce the other regions.
- The tooltip for Fuel, Supplies and Terror now appears over the icons.
- Terror no longer overflows the UI if gained during storylets (though it doesn’t update to its correct value until after the storylet UI is closed).
- Hidden labels at Polmear & Plenty’s now appear in game.
- Several typos have been fixed in the in-game messages including those at New Winchester, Hybras and Carillon.
- We’ve made the requirements clearer on the Drill for the fleshy bits branch when harvesting a Cantankeri corpse.
- You can now harvest a stinger from a Chorister corpse for your settler.
- When you run out of fuel completely the Adrift! storylet will fire (and kill your Captain) automatically rather than having to be selected manually from the ‘Always’ storylets in the bottom left of the screen.
- The broken SFX heard when continuing a game has been fixed.
World Generation and Save Game Issues
- Ports no longer disappear within game after returning to the title screen and continuing a game.
- Titania will no longer appear twice.
- Save files should no longer become corrupted leading to a black screen overlaid by the Survival HUD.
- Player’s will no longer see a black screen when returning to the Title Screen.
- Unique decorations are no longer duplicated in game.
- Collision damage has now been applied at Port Prosper and Port Avon.
- Slow world loading no longer causes players/agents to get stuck in scenery.
- Decorations should no longer suddenly pop into existence when travelling across the Reach.