Update: the application deadline has now passed, so we’re no longer accepting applications for this role.
We’re looking for a support and QA tester to join our 16-strong development team in Waterloo (London, UK).
We’re a boutique video game studio, devoted to making games with strong stories at their heart. We’re best known for Sunless Sea, a critically acclaimed literary RPG for PC, Mac and Linux; we also made Fallen London, an award-winning free-to-play browser/mobile game, and Dragon Age: The Last Court for BioWare. Read more about working here.
Failbetter operates out of a converted Victorian foundry, five minutes from Waterloo station. We would consider a remote working arrangement for the right candidate, provided that they could be available on site at least once a week, and probably more than that during the probationary period.
This is a precise, rewarding position which plays a big part in the ultimate quality of our games. You’ll have autonomy and the freedom to try out your own ideas, as we’re looking for someone to develop the studio’s existing QA process. Working across a variety of web, PC and mobile games, you’ll be tracking, identifying and communicating bugs, as well as providing overall feedback on our games’ quality and user experience.
This role also incorporates support. You’ll be responding to players’ feedback and support requests, triaging reported issues and responsible for flagging urgent issues to the development team.
Skills and experience
We’d prefer applicants with:
- Experience working backwards from an issue to its cause (all experience relevant here, not just identifying bugs in software)
- Basic familiarity with common technical components of game development, such as you’d get from working in a technical role or within a development team
- Excellent all-round communication skills
- A meticulous, detail-oriented approach to work
We’re interested in the following (but these are secondary, and shouldn’t stop you applying):
- Experience working as a QA tester (or equivalent role) in Agile software development
- Experience using bug tracking/support ticket software
- Working knowledge of SQL
- Experience writing test scripts and test suites
- Experience with test automation (web/Unity), build automation (Unity), writing unit tests (ideally C#) and continuous integration
- Familiarity with Fallen London, Sunless Sea and/or our other games
Salary: £32k per annum, possibly more for a candidate with particularly strong skills and experience.
We offer BUPA health insurance, 25 days’ holiday a year, and we all work from home one day a week.
We celebrate babies and children! We have better-than-statutory provision for maternity, paternity and adoption leave. We also subscribe to a childcare voucher scheme and offer flexible working for parents.
There are numerous other perks to working here, not limited to: free games, frequent cake, venetian masks, mystery boxes, miniature pavlovas, rats.
How to apply
If you’re interested in becoming Failbetter’s support and QA tester, please apply by emailing email@example.com before Friday 28th April 2017.
Please include your CV and in the accompanying email please say a few words about why you’d be a good fit for this role.