We’re Failbetter Games, makers of Sunless Skies, Sunless Sea and Fallen London. We’re looking for someone with broad communications skills to join our friendly and inclusive team for ten months while our Communications Director is on maternity leave.
We’re based in London. You could work there, or potentially remotely. We may also be able to offer the position part-time. The start date will be in mid-July to allow for a handover period. We’re a really good place to work – we’ve won GamesIndustry.biz’s Best Places to Work award, twice, in 2017 and 2019.
In this role, you will be responsible for our communications, with the support of the CEO and the rest of our team. This will include:
- Coming up with regular, exciting ways to share news about Sunless Skies, Sunless Sea and Fallen London with our community and the wider gaming community.
- Market research and marketing plans for upcoming games and perhaps crowdfunding campaigns.
- Talking to our unusually friendly community, and helping it thrive.
- Copywriting for various audiences.
- The occasional digital advertising campaign.
- Organising our presence at consumer events.
- Interacting with streamers, merchandise partners and the games press.
Requirements (and Non-Essential Extras)
You don’t need a particular degree, or some arbitrary number of years’ experience or shipped titles to work for us. As long as you’re able to do the job well and can demonstrate that in your application, we’d love to hear from you.
Any of the following would be helpful, but they’re very much secondary and not required for you to apply:
- Pre-existing familiarity with Fallen London.
- Understanding of publishing to consoles.
- Some skills in image manipulation, especially Photoshop.
- Anything else you think might be helpful – let us know in your application!
We’re an award-winning indie studio, and we make atmospheric video games with choice-rich, imaginative stories at their hearts. Our most recent game is Sunless Skies, a critically acclaimed literary RPG in which Queen Victoria has dragged London into the heavens, and your captain must struggle to survive in an Empire that unfolds across the skies.
Why Work for Us?
We can offer much better work-life balance than is usual in the games industry. We make our games without crunch and enthusiastically eliminate systemic sources of overtime. Marketing is closely tied to development here, and comms expertise is valued alongside other game making disciplines.
Our work environment is friendly, welcoming, and inclusive. Our flexible working policy allows staff to adapt the way they work to meet their needs. We offer work experience, internships and incubations to help widen access to the industry. Also, sometimes we play games together.
Other benefits of working here include:
- Work from home for everyone, once a week.
- Employer pension contributions.
- Twenty-five days of leave in addition to UK public holidays.
- Fruit deliveries, free games from our friends in the industry, and unusually good office tea.
How to apply
Contact us at email@example.com by 6th April 2020, including all of the following:
- A CV.
- The role you’re applying for, in the subject line of your email.
- A cover letter in the body of your email, letting us know what makes you a good fit for the position and why it interests you.
Also, if you’re unsure whether to apply and more information would help, we’d be happy to answer questions – please email us at the above address.