We are looking for an experienced 2D artist to join our 16 strong development team in Waterloo (London, UK).
We are a boutique video game studio, devoted to making games with strong stories at their heart. We are best known for Sunless Sea, a critically acclaimed literary RPG for PC, Mac and Linux; we also made Fallen London, an award-winning free-to-play browser game, and Dragon Age: The Last Court for BioWare. Read more about working here.
Failbetter operates out of a converted Victorian foundry, five minutes from Waterloo station. We would consider a remote working arrangement for the right candidate, provided that they could be available on site at least once a week, and probably more than that during the probationary period.
This is a wide-ranging, creatively fulfilling position that will involve a great deal of adaptability and autonomy. You’ll be turning your hand to everything from icon design to concept art, game asset creation and marketing materials. Working closely with the art director, you will be directly contributing to the look and feel of our unique games.
Skills and Experience
- Excellent digital art skills and a portfolio that demonstrates adaptability, imaginative flair and skilful rendering. We are particularly interested in dark, atmospheric environments and characterful portraits. Examples of 2D game assets are also very welcome.
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop (or equivalent).
- Good communication skills; you’ll need to understand and be understood by writers, developers and communications staff.
- Ability to work efficiently with minimal supervision. You’ll be trusted to make creative decisions about your work on a daily basis.
- Experience of Illustrator, Clip Studio and Unity would be an advantage, but we’re happy to spend time skilling up the right applicant.
- Games industry experience would be useful, but is not essential. This is a fine opportunity for someone with good artistic skills who wants to break into the industry – or for an illustrator from a larger company looking to move to a smaller company, where your input will count for more.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Fallen London universe would be helpful. We prefer to hire people who specifically want to work for us. An interest in our work and our company culture and values is an advantage.
Salary: £32k per annum, possibly more for a candidate with exceptional skills and experience.
We offer BUPA health insurance, 25 days’ holiday a year, and we all work from home one day a week.
We celebrate babies and children! We have better-than-statutory provision for maternity, paternity and adoption leave. We also subscribe to a childcare voucher scheme and offer flexible working for parents.
There are numerous other perks to working here, not limited to: free games, frequent cake, venetian masks, mystery boxes, miniature pavlovas, rats.
If this sounds like you, please apply by emailing email@example.com before 28 Feb 2017. Please include your CV, a link to your portfolio, and in the accompanying email please say a few words about why you’d be a good fit for this role.